Friday, January 16, 2009

Skater Baby!


I knit this super simple hat for Chewy, my youngest.  It's sooooo cute on him!!!  Below is the pattern.  For the brim, I actually dismantled a cheapie store bought hat and stole the brim from that one, but I've seen online that you can cut one from plastic canvas.  I do not have a template for that right now, but will make one up and post soon.

Skater Baby! ~ Brim Hat
© Emily V (aka Coffeebra!)

Size: Childrens – 6-12 months (You can adjust the size by
adding or decreasing the cast on stitches by multiples of 8)

Yarn – Aran/Worsted weight “4”, I used Mission Falls 1824
Wool.

Needle – US size 7, 16” circular needles, Cable needle and US
size 7 DPNs

Also will need a stiff brim of sorts. You can make one out of

plastic canvas or thick cardboard. I used the brim from a cheapie hat I bought.  (if you are making your own brim, the measurements I used were 6inches across, 1.25 inches wide and a slight curve.  You can take a 2 inch thick piece of material (whichever you have chosen) and make sure when you draw a pattern that there is a slight curve but that the brim material doesn't exceed being 1.25 inches wide at the thickest part.   Also, if you wrap the plastic canvas in duct-tape, it provides a much easier glide and more stability.

 

Gauge – 20 stitches, 28 rows 4x4 inches

 

Cast on 72 stitches. Place marker and join in a round, being careful not to twist. Work in k2p2 ribbing for 16 rounds, or until piece measures 2 inches.

 
Fold brim to inside and prepare to join to current round to form casing. Insert left-hand needle into first st from the cast-on round, then k2tog with first st of current round. *Insert left-hand needle into next st from cast-on round, then k2tog with next st of current round; rep from * to approx halfway across round. At this point, insert your plastic brim so that half of it is inside your casing and half is out. Continue to form casing, pulling the knit brim up on top of the plastic brim and encasing the plastic brim as you work. The casing should fit snugly around the plastic brim.    

Once you have joined the entire brim around, knit all stitches for approx 5 inches. You can join a new color to make stripes. In the hat pictured I did 8 rounds of the main color (MC) and then 3 rounds of the contrasting color (CC), then 3 rounds of MC and 2 rounds of CC and finished the hat in MC.  (note: where the plastic brim is the widest, the stitches will be tight to maneuver for a couple of rounds.  Just try to knit a little looser in that area to help ease things fro the next roound.)

 

Begin decreasing the hat with the following pattern… 

Decreases (changed 1/17/08 for better shaping):

Row 1: K6, k2tog (63 stitches)

Row 2: K5, k2tog (54 stitches)

Row 3: K4, K2tog (45)

Row 4: Knit

Row 5: Knit

Row 6: K3, K2tog (36)

Row 7: Knit

Row 8: Knit

Row 9: K2, K2tog (27)

Row 10: Knit

Row 11: K1, K2tog (18)

Row 12: Knit

Row 13: K2tog (9)

 


Break yarn leaving a 6 in tail, thread through remaining stitches and draw up tightly. Fasten and weave in
ends.

Free for personal use, please do not make these to sell.  If you do I might have to hunt you down and hit you with one of my muppet fur thongs.  It's a free pattern, so no need to get all piratey.  ;)



18 comments:

Linda said...

So Cute!
I would like to make this for my grandson...please let me know when you get the template ready to go.
Thanks for sharing.
Linda

Anonymous said...

That is super cute, and perfect because I have a baby shower to go to soon and I was looking to finagle my way out of buying a gift.

Unknown said...

Love it!!!!!

I want one now.

Anonymous said...

Very cute! We have three girls and now we're having a boy in May so I need some boyish stuff around the house now. I'm learning how to knit and I've finished a pull-through scarf (one my grandma made for me when I was little and it's the same one in the Jan issue of Martha Stewart. This is my second project and I plan to make some scratch-mitts for my newborn.

Unknown said...

this is exactly what I was looking for!

Anonymous said...

Love the hat ... my boys are 3 and 4 ... how would I modify it to make it for them? I am new to knitting lol and I'd love to make some hats for them and your pattern seems pretty easy to follow

@ColoradoMom said...

For a 3-4 yr old, I'd cast on 80-88 depending on the needles, yarn, etc. The pattern is in multiples of 8. :) The band is stretchy, but to keep the brim looking good, I wouldn't stretch it too much.

Anonymous said...

I am very excited to make this hat for my twin grandsons. But would it work in cotton for the summer hot days so they don't burn while out walking with me? I am thinking for all my grandkids even my Kaity.Gosh what a good reason to go yarn shopping. WOOHOO.

Kris said...

This is *fab*. I can not wait to make it! Thank you very much!!!

DaneMum said...

Cute cute cute cute CUTE!!!
Just a quick Q. How much yarn did you use use for the hat?

:D Ann

Anonymous said...

This hat is so adorable. I'm going to knit one for my new nephew. Thanks for the pattern!

Danielle (dburgi@telus.net) said...

This hat is adorable, I can't wait to make it! Please let me know once the template for the brim is ready. Thank you!

Nat said...

Love this hat!! Have made one for each of my sons and one for a friends son! Such a fast and easy knit, yet very "in".

JB said...

This pattern is very cute!Does anyone know of a pattern for a knitted flat top skater hat with visor? As in this link:
http://finaday.com/Knitted-Flat-Top-Caps-w-Visor/M/B000JM16RA.htm?traffic_src=FIND&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=FIND&affId=the005-20

Thanks!

candita said...

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! I've been looking for a pattern for a hat JUST LIKE THIS for my nephew! Can't wait to get started!

Izabella Karoline Figueiredo said...

Hello I am haveing a hard time understanding the instructions of how to incorporate the visor in to the hat...Its most likely my faoult :( Any who would u mind leaving more detail insturctions for me please. Do I join the stiches on the top of the hat making a sleeve of sort and then insert the visor or do it wrap the visor in the 1.5 inch of the work and then join the stiches? Also does the visor go all the way arond the head..cause it looks like that on the picture? Thanks
Izabella

@ColoradoMom said...

You do make a sleeve of sorts, the "sleeve" does go around the entire hat, but the visor portion you slide in only goes in the area you want it. It's a small insert. Hope this helps!

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for a crochet pattern of a hat just like this! Does anyone have this hat or something similar in a crochet pattern?